Sunday, November 17, 2013

Guangzhou

I feel like our life just got switched from black and white to color. We woke up and looked out our new hotel window to find blue sky and a Starbucks sign. Halelujah! These (tiny) pics are from each hotel window.


I didn't realize how ready I was to leave Chongqing till we arrived here in Guangzhou. Chongqing was filled with very kind people and some great spicy food. The area where we stayed was very clean and our hotel was beautiful. It is where our son was born. It is a part of him. I loved getting to know the city and it's history. The rainy, grey and smoggy days were getting to me. I am used to that in the comfort of my own home but here in China it was starting to feel a bit depressing. Did I mention they add 300 cars a day to the roads there? Crazy traffic!

We spent Friday morning packing up our stuff and then headed to the airport in the afternoon. This is a picture of our group as we left the hotel. I really like all these people and feel very blessed to be traveling with them.

We were worried about O getting sick on the plane so one of the other moms gave me some kids Dramamine to give to him. He passed out cold in the van and slept on me through the entire airport wait. Oops! I felt bad. I don't usually give my kids drugs. But, hey, he didn't get sick. He did great on the plane and watched some Mickey Mouse. It was just a short 1:45 plane ride. We arrived in Guangzhou at 8:30. By the time we arrived at our hotel it was after ten and we were tired.



The hotel is pretty amazing. And the area around our hotel seems pretty happening. I am not big on neon but it is kinda cool to see here, on a vacation, flashing everywhere. The walls are covered in gold art and we were greeted with VIP service everywhere. A soccer team walked in the door right after us with giant body guards. We were told later it was Manchester United. I am not positive on that but there were fans with cameras at the bottom of the elevators waiting for pics all day yesterday.

Yesterday, (Saturday) we spent the morning at the doctors. O needed to be seen by a nurse, an ENT doc and a regular physician. He also got a TB test. We shared the appointment with ten other families from our agency, as well as 20 families adopting from different agencies. For being crammed in a small medical facility with a bunch of people who don't speak Chinese it wasn't too bad. It got hot, but we moved through the lines rather quickly. Everyone said he looked good and we will get the TB results tomorrow. Keep praying for that please.


When we returned we went to have lunch with friends and while Tyler went and did two hours of paper work with our agency staff, O and I played in the room. We worked on colors and numbers. He enjoyed the videos on YouTube. He can already write numbers one thru five. He is so smart!

We found the outdoor play area in our hotel. He came to life for the first time around other kids. He laughed and played with others there and seemed so happy. I can't wait to show him play grounds at home. He loves a video someone sent us of the girls on swings and laughs watching the recent video we got from Dylan of D in the snow.

We walked to get pizza last night but I could tell he was starting to lose it. We decided to get it to go and eat in our room. We put him to bed for the first time by him self and he did great. This hotel room has a separate living area where we can hang out after he goes to bed. Not that I need it cause I am ready when he is.

I slept 9 hours and I think the boys slept 11. Felt so good!

For those of you who have asked I am feeling much better. In fact, today is the first day since last Wednesday that I have not felt dizzy and nauseous. Thank you so much for your prayers. They helped!

I am sure you are all wondering about O. I will write about that next. Promise!




1 comment:

  1. I was one of those kids who got car sick very easily. I don't know when Dramamine came on the scene, but sleeping vs. puking would have been heavenly!

    ReplyDelete